What is a BIA?
A BIA is a geographic area in a municipality. A BIA allows local business people and property owners to join together and, with the support of the municipality, organize, finance and carry out physical improvements and promote the economy in their district. The Council for the Township of Woolwich is responsible for approving the budget for the St. Jacobs BIA once it has been considered by the members.
What does a BIA do?
The BIA has a two fold mandate:
- To oversee the improvement, beautification and maintenance of municipally owned land, buildings and structures in the area beyond that provided by the municipality generally, and;
- To promote the area as a business and shopping district.
In carrying out these responsibilities, BIAs have become involved in numerous activities, which often include:
- Marketing: Understanding who area customers are, and creating effective promotions to retain and expand the customer base.
- Business Recruitment: Working with property owners to help ensure that available space is occupied, and that an optimum business and service mix is achieved and maintained.
- Streetscape Improvement and Other Amenities: Providing for more customer-friendly lighting, signage, street furniture, planters, banners and sidewalk treatment.
- Seasonal Decorations: Creating a unique and pleasant environment for customers and staff or all businesses, retail and non-retail, through the use of decorations that are appropriate to the season and holiday.
- Special Events: Organizing and partnering in special events that highlight unique attributes of the area and increase customer visits.
St. Jacobs Business Improvement Area (BIA)
In December, 2015, Council of the Township of Woolwich approved the establishment of the St. Jacobs Business Improvement Area. On February 9, 2016, Council appointed the following members of the BIA to the Board of Management:
- Gary Boudreau
- Edward Denyer (Chair)
- Phil Hipkiss (Treasurer)
- Craig Miller (Vice-Chair)
- Jenny Shantz
- Bob Wilbur (Secretary)
- Councillor Mark Bauman
The Board meets on the first Tuesday of each month at 4 p.m. at Quarry in St. Jacobs. All general members are welcome to attend BIA Board meetings to observe. If you would like to participate by presenting an agenda item or an idea to the Board of Management please contact them at email@example.com. More information will follow regarding the upcoming Annual General Meeting of the members to consider the 2016 BIA budget. Agendas and Minutes for Board Meetings may be found on the Committees of Council calendar.
BIA Agendas and Minutes
Downtown St. Jacobs BIA minutes can be found on the Committees of Council Calendar.
Downtown Elmira Business Improvement Area (BIA)
The Elmira BIA represents the business and property owners of the Elmira Core Commercial area. For a listing of businesses in Downtown Elmira, view the Elmira BIA online directory and map.
Current Downtown Elmira BIA Board Members:
- Christine Aberle (Treasurer)
- Councillor Scott Hahn
- Jacqueline Hanley
- Jon Clay
- Juliane Shantz (Vice-Chair)
- Steve Pond (Chair)
BIA Executive Board Meetings
All general members are welcome to attend BIA Board Meetings. If you would like to participate by presenting an agenda item to the Board please contact the Elmira BIA either by telephone 519-669-1647 ext. 6113 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Board Meetings are held 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Township Administration Office (24 Church Street West, Elmira), second floor.
Becoming a Board Member
Get involved in decisions that affect your business and Downtown Elmira. The BIA Board wants your help in continuing to improve the Downtown for everyone.
The BIA Board of Management follows the same term of Council, with six (6) BIA General Members and one (1) member of Township Council. The BIA currently has three (3) vacant positions and is accepting applications.
To become a BIA Board Member, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- property owner within the BIA boundaries;
- business owner/tenant within the BIA boundaries, or
- an employee of a business within the BIA boundaries.
View the Downtown Elmira BIA Boundaries Map.
Join the Downtown Elmira Business Improvement Area Board of Management and make a difference.
BIA Agendas and Minutes
Downtown Elmira BIA minutes can be found on the Committees of Council Calendar.