If you have incurred costs for which you believe the Township may be responsible, you must follow the process outlined below to have your claim considered. If you were injured or experienced property damage which you believe was caused directly or indirectly by the Township, you should place the Township on notice within 10 days of the incident.
According to the Municipal Act, we must receive notification in writing for roads related incidents. To ensure that your claim meets the notice requirement, please forward your claim to the following address within the 10-day period.
Township of Woolwich
PO Box 158
24 Church St. W. Elmira, ON
Note that payment in respect of property damage or bodily injury is contingent upon the Township being found legally liable.
We suggest that in all cases of damage, you contact your insurance company or broker.
Depending on the type of property damaged, and the insurance policy you purchased, you may be eligible for greater compensation than you can legally recover from the Township or other party.
Claim Reporting Process
Prepare your notice of claim in writing, and ensure it contains the following information:
- The name, mailing address, e-mail address and telephone number of the person making the claim.
- The contact name, mailing address, e-mail and telephone number of the person submitting the claim, if different from above.
- The date, approximate time of incident and exact location (address or closest intersection).
- A brief description of what happened.
- Any photos, repair estimates or receipts related to the claim.
- The type of damage or injury.
- The name of any contractor involved (if known).