The Township of Woolwich receives applications and issues licences for dogs, kennels, lotteries, vendors and plumbing trades within the Township of Woolwich. The Township also issues marriage licences for marriages taking place within the Province of Ontario. Please click on the links below for more information on any of these licences.
The Dog Control By-law of the Township of Woolwich requires that every dog must wear a dog tag when off of the property of the owner of the dog. The Animal Control By-law is a by-law to provide for the licensing, registration and regulation of dogs and dog kennels in the Township of Woolwich.
To purchase a dog tag, you may fill in the application form found here and mail the completed form with a cheque for payment to: Council and Information Services, Township of Woolwich, 24 Church Street W., P.O. Box 158, Elmira, ON N3B 2Z6. Cheques should be made payable to Township of Woolwich.
Dog Tag Fees are:
- Before March 1st:
Neutered/Spayed - $25.00
Non-Neutered/Spayed - $35.00
- After March 1st:
An additional $15.00 applies to the above rates unless where a bill of sale is provided to show the dog was obtained after March 1st.
- If you lose your tag a replacement tag costs $5.00
Dog Tags are also available at the following locations:
- Creature Comfort Pet Emporium, 1553 King Street North, St. Jacobs*
- The Township of Woolwich, 24 Church Street West, Elmira
- Eldale Vet Clinic,150 Church Street West, Elmira*
- Pet Valu, 315 Arthur Street South, Elmira*
- Breslau Animal Hospital, 2057 Victoria Street North (Unit 3), Breslau
* payment must be made by cash or cheque only.
Remember! Purchasing a dog tag can return your dog to you much easier if your dog escapes. Dogs without a dog tag are taken to the KW Humane Society and the owner must pay all costs incurred for keeping your dog before it will be released to you.
If you have found a dog or lost your dog please call By-law Enforcement at 519-669-6009.
Back to Top
Anyone who would like to have more than three dogs on their property must apply for a kennel license. Kennels are only permitted in Agricultural zones and must be located at least 60 metres (200 feet) from any neighbouring habitable building, including any buildings housing animals.
Click here for a copy of the Animal Control by-law.
Some of the regulations are as follows:
- All kennel buildings shall have floors and walls made of impermeable material;
- Every kennel shall be properly equipped with accessible fresh water and adequate feed in clean, properly sized containers;
- All yards and runways shall have adequate shelter and protection from the elements;
- Every kennel shall be constructed to provide the following pen minimum space per dog or sufficient room to permit the animal confined therein to stand normally to its full height, turn around easily and lie down in a fully extended position, whichever is greatest:
i) Up to 12kgs 1.0 square metre per dog
ii) 12-30 kgs 2.0 square metres per dog
iii) 30-50 kgs 2.5 square metres per dog
iv) Over 50 kgs 3.0 square metres per dog
- All breeding kennels must have a separate whelping area for the whelping bitch and the puppies;
- All applications for kennels of over twenty (20) dogs are required to submit an acoustical study with the application and may be subject to more requirements as listed in the by-law; and
- All kennel operations must maintain complete records as outlined in the by-law.
All kennel applications must initially be heard by Council and Council makes a decision on whether to license the kennel or not. The Animal Control Officer does an annual inspection on all kennels and does spot inspections throughout the year.
Kennel License Application - a site plan showing the entire property and the nearest neighbour's habitable buildings must accompany the application form.
For Kennel License Fees please click here for a copy of the Licensing By-law.
Back to Top
The Alcohol and Gaming Commission (AGCO) is responsible for administering the lottery licensing program in the Province of Ontario. Municipalities and the AGCO are responsible for issuing lottery licences to eligible charitable and religious organizations.
The Order-In-Council provides municipalities with licensing authority for:
- bingo events, including table board bingo, with prize boards of up to $5,500;
- media bingo events with prizes up to $5,500;
- break open tickets for local organizations;
- raffle lotteries for total prizes of $50,000 and under; and
- bazaar lotteries which include: wheels of fortune with a maximum bet of $2.00, raffles not exceeding $500, and bingo events up to $500.
The Township of Woolwich requires a minimum of 5 business days to process all applications for lottery events licensed by the municipality. If you are applying for a lottery license for the first time in the Township of Woolwich the township requires a minimum of 10 business days to process the application.
For more information on Lottery Licensing please visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.
Back to Top
By-law # 47-2013 is a by-law to provide for the licensing, regulating and governing of outdoor vendors in the Township of Woolwich.
One-Day Barbeque Event / Hot Dog Stands
By-law # 47-2013 is a by-law to provide for the licensing, regulating and governing of outdoor vendors in the Township of Woolwich. This includes both One-Day Barbeque Events and portable Hot Dog Stands.
If the Barbeque or Hot Dog Stand is to be located on private property a letter of permission from the property owner must be included with the application. If the Barbeque or Hot Dog Stand is to be located on municipal property proof of insurance in the amount of $2 million must be provided.
Application Form for a One Day Barbeque Event (for charitable organizations)
Application Form for a portable Hot Dog Stand
By-law # 47-2013 is a by-law for licensing, regulating and governing food vehicles.
All applicants to operate a chip wagon must receive public health and fire approval for the food vehicle. If the chip wagon is to be located on municipal property proof of insurance (must be coverage for $2 million) must be provided.
Application Form for a Chip Wagon
By-law # 47-2013 is a by-law to provide for the licensing, regulating, and governing drain layers, for charging certain inspection fees.
Application Form for a Drain Layers License
By-law # 47-2013 is a by-law to license, regulate and govern salesmen, hawkers and peddlers.
Application Form for a Salespersons License
For any of the above Licenses Fees please click here for a copy of the Licensing By-law.
Back to Top